I’ve never been much into New Years resolutions, but I do get into a reflective mood at this time and think about what I want to be doing (and what I don’t) in the coming year. This year on New Year’s Day I spoke with my friend Patch Adams (the clown doctor who Robin Williams made famous), we have been close friends for many years.
We rambled on about the stuff in our lives, focusing on what we still want to be doing. Patch will launch a major fundraising campaign this year to raise $200 million to build the innovative Gesundheit! Hospital/Teaching Center that he’s been dreaming about for the last 40 years. I will launch the Clown Town Healing Fest, a three-day festival that helps people realize they don’t have to get sick before they get well, and how many ways there are to live healthier lives.
When we hung up I mused about how to deal with my growing awareness of my limitations (hearing, seeing, endurance), and I feel I can deal with them all as long as I can still do these things that are important to me. So here are the top 10 things (not in any particular order) that came to me, about what I want to do in 2015…to do every day if I can.
- Pursue a dream (it makes me look forward to every day).
- Learn something new (this year… conversational Spanish).
- Tell my stories around a fireplace and not just in cyberspace.
- Work out, keep fit, and get turned on.
- Say thank you to someone new every day.
- Curb my impatience, lighten up, and love my woman.
- Laugh and clown around.
- Honor the memory of those who have inspired me.
- Live today like I’m going to die tomorrow (because it makes every day thereafter seem extra).
- Hang out with young people, they always enlighten. (I told Patch I’d go on our annual clown trip to the jungles of Peru even if he had to feed and wipe me; but I’d call it quits if I couldn’t dance at Nikkoro’s (our favorite dive bar on the Amazon).
That’s what I want to be doing, how about you?
A Happy and Blessed New Year to you all Relatives….remember the greatest act of revolution is to come to every day with joy.
I say this, For All My Relations, Mi Takuye Oyasin.